You may have noticed I am putting a lot of emphasis on Keto recipes. My doctor told me to stay away from white flour and sugar. In an attempt to do that I am exploring no sugar and no white flour recipes.
I have to say I love bread and pasta. I am learning that there are great substitutions with great flavors. If there is one thing I must have, its exceptional flavor. I am not at all into eating cardboard and / or tannic tasting food. Texture is also a biggy for me. I am giving up things I love!!! I can only stay the course if I can make them better.
In a previous blog I posted a recipe for a Weight Watchers bagel. I’m Back…..Air Fried Bagels They are amazing and I thought I was in heaven. Sadly, they are made with white flour. So it’s one of those things I have to give up. That’s not to say you do. It’s a great recipe, I highly recommend it.
These bagels are made with almond flour and coconut flour. Believe it or not, they also have cream cheese and mozzarella cheese as a base! I know, hard to believe, but true. This is a version of a Fat Head dough recipe. I lightened it up a bit by adding coconut flour to it. I also cooked them in my Air Fryer. I was so happy with the finished project I couldn’t wait to share it with everybody.
This is a sticky dough and should be kneaded while it is still warm to incorporate air and mix all of the ingredients thoroughly. You will want to measure everything out beforehand so all of the ingredients are at the ready. If you don’t have an Air Fryer, you can cook them in the oven: I have included those instructions.
Keto Air Fried Bagels
- 1 1/4 C almond flour
- 1/2 C coconut flour
- 1 T baking powder
- 2 1/2 C shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz softened cream cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Everything bagel seasoning or sesame or poppy seeds (optional)
- 1 egg or egg white, beaten in a separate bowl and set aside
- Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, and baking powder in a small bowl and mix together.
- Beat the 2 eggs together in a separate bowl and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the mozzarella and the cream cheese.
- Microwave for 1 minute, remove and stir, return to microwave and continue to heat for another minute. Remove and stir quickly.
- Add the flour mixture and stir together briefly.
- Add the beaten eggs and with your hands begin to knead the dough to incorporate air and mix thoroughly. It will form a ball.
- Separate the dough into 6, relatively equal, pieces.
- Take each ball and roll into a snake, about 7-7 1/2 inches long. Bring the ends together, forming a circle with a small hole, pinch together and repeat with the other dough balls.
- If you want to add toppings, take the beaten egg white or egg that you set aside and brush the one side of the bagels and add the toppings of your choice. Turn over and repeat on the other side. *this step can be omitted and they can be cooked plain.
- In the Air Fryer: Pre-heat the air fryer at 370 degrees for 8 minutes. Place a parchment round in the basket and spray with coconut oil cooking spray or avocado oil spray. Place 3 bagels at a time in the air fryer basket and cook for 4 minutes on each side. Remove and repeat with the remaining 3 bagels. Set aside for at least 20 minutes to cool before cutting.
- In the Oven: Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the bagels on a sheet pan lined with parchment or a silpat. Bake for 6 minutes and check, turn over and continue to bake for another 5-6 minutes or until a golden color is achieved or to your liking. Set aside for at least 20 minutes to cool before cutting.
These are great toasted or plain. Now you can have your bagel and eat it too!!
Nutritional info: 6 servings = 1 bagel per serving
Calories = 231, Total Fat = 18.9 g, Sat Fat = 4.8g, Cholesterol = 79 mg, Sodium = 127 mg, Total Carb = 7.6g, Fiber = 3g, Total Sugar = 1.1g, Protein = 11.3g
Til next time,