Well, here is the crock pot mystery soup I promised earlier. I got up this morning before work and made this. It took all of 20 minutes to put together. I walked in the door after work to a wonderful aroma and dinner.
This is a dry bean soup. No pre-soaking or cooking the beans. The crock pot does it all for you. It’s healthy, filling, and I promise very tasty. This is a Weight Watcher friendly recipe too.
You can find packages of 15 bean soup in most groceries. Mine came from Walmart. They are sometimes labeled as 13 bean; it doesn’t matter, it will come out fine. They usually come with a flavor packet. I never use it but feel free if you want a different flavor. The ingredients listed are all you need. You could add a meat to it. Sausage, shrimp, ham, or chicken would work well. In my world, the beans stand on their own.
As always, I prep everything and then just throw it all together, mix well, and turn on the crock pot. The only thing left is the can of tomatoes. They get thrown in last just to heat through. That’s it; your soup is done.
I like to dice the veg smaller, close to the size of the beans. The addition of Italian seasoning may seem odd, but it works well.
This recipe makes a lot. Be glad, it’s always just as good (maybe better) the next day. This is the final product. Serve with a salad or some nice rolls and enjoy.
Well, I’m off to my grandson’s last soccer game of the season. I hope you enjoy the recipe. My family loves it!
Thanks for reading and following along. I love seeing your comments and photos. Keep them coming!!!
15 BEAN SOUP (CROCK-POT)
- 2 (32 oz) boxes of chicken broth ( or equal amount of canned broth)
- 1 C water
- 1 package of 13 or 15 bean soup mix (dried beans)
- 4 medium carrots, small chop
- 3 medium stalks of celery, small chop
- 1 large onion, small chop
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (dry)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can, fire roasted tomatoes
- Mix everything together except the can of tomatoes
- Cover and cook for 10 hours on low
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook an additional 15 minutes to heat the tomatoes through.
Til next time,