I adore salads in the summer. They are cool, crunchy, and easy on the waistline. Of course, it is all about the dressing for me. It can be the most beautiful salad in the world. If the dressing isn’t good, it’s just a waste of good vegies.
We have a favorite French restaurant we frequent in Cambridge, Maryland. It is called Bistro Poplar. Honestly, every time I am in there I am transported to another place and time. They have a Bibb lettuce salad with goat cheese and a fantastic vinaigrette. I don’t have the exact recipe but this one comes close. We eat there as often as possible. When I can’t go there, I make this.
My salad consists of soft, Bibb lettuce leaves. I chop a few chives, and add approximately one tablespoon of warm goat cheese. I have also been known to throw a few toasted pine nuts in there for extra crunch. Drizzle lightly with the dressing and add some salt and pepper. Voila, salad done!
- 3 Tbsp tarragon vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon, fresh squeezed
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard, seedless
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- In a small mixing bowl combine the first 4 ingredients and mix together.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, while continuously whisking it together.
- Add the salt and pepper, taste and add more to taste if needed.
If you’re in the area check out Bistro Poplar. I would definitely call for reservations. You don’t want to miss this one!
Til next time,