We eat a lot of chicken. In one of my earlier posts I blogged an easy way to cook chicken so you can have it throughout the week when your pressed for time. CROCK POT CHICKEN FOR THE WEEK. As per usual I made some chicken on Monday for the week. I happened to come across this recipe by Ellie Krieger and I am so glad to share it with you.
I did make a couple of changes to it. One was using reduced fat cheese and sour cream. The other was banana peppers. We had some from our garden that needed to be used. The result was yum and added just enough heat. I also found a tortilla that is a Weight Watchers smart point count of 1. I found mine in our local Wal-Mart. They taste fantastic!
Having the chicken already cooked makes this come together very easily. One serving is 2 quarters of a tortilla. I must admit, it was so good I ate 3 quarters. My husband loved them so I will be making these again.
If you don’t like banana peppers, feel free to leave them out. I loved the bit of tang and heat they brought to the dish. You could use a bell pepper or leave it out all together. I would suggest prepping all of your items first because this goes very quickly once you start cooking.
LIGHT CHICKEN QUESADILLAS
7 WW Smart Points / Serving (using WW calculator)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 C)
- 1 C banana peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 8 oz. of baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 C chopped, cooked, skinless, boneless, chicken breast
- 1 t, heaping ground cumin
- 1 t, heaping chili powder
- 1/2 t dried oregano
- 2 C baby spinach leaves, slice into ribbons
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t ground black pepper
- 4 (10 inch) tortillas (my recommendation is above)
- 1 C 2% shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 C salsa (zero sugar)
- 1/4 C reduced-fat sour cream
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions, peppers (if using), and mushrooms. Cook until the mushroom water is evaporated and they begin to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the chicken, cumin, chili powder, and oregano and stir until all the spices are incorporated.
- Add the spinach, salt, and pepper and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Place a large skillet over med heat and generously spray with cooking spray of choice.
- Place one tortilla in the pan and top with 1/4 C of shredded cheese.
- Spoon 1/2 heaping C of chicken and vegetable mixture on top.
- Spoon another 1/4 C of cheese on top of the chicken and top with another tortilla. Mash together slightly with your spatula.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until browned and cheese is melted. Flip over and brown the other side.
- Remove and repeat with the other tortillas.
- Slice each quesadilla into quarters. Place 2 quarters on a plate with 1 T sour cream and 2 T salsa. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Ole’…… Dinner is served!
Ya know, this would be really good with a Marguerita.
Til next time,