Well, I now own the domain “aroundthebutcherblock.com”. Thanks to my daughter, who is very good at these things. All I had to do was have Sunday dinner and tell her I needed help. Just like that, I own it. I am hoping, that together, we can better organize this site. In doing so, making it easier to locate specific recipes. Bear with me as I go through this transition.
My one son-in-law loves sweets and fortunately is able to eat them. He also loves pineapple. So I made a dessert I found called Sunshine Cake. It is a Weight Watcher friendly cake coming in at 9 SP per serving. I made a couple changes and it worked out perfectly. It is moist, light, and loaded with flavor. More importantly, it was quick and easy. The icing stands on it’s own as a dessert.
I can see different flavors and have some ideas on how to change it up. Stay tuned! In the meantime, I hope you try this one. I think it would be the perfect guilt free Easter dessert.
16 SERVINGS/9SP PER SERVING
- 1 (18oz) box of yellow or white cake mix
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 (20oz) can of crushed pineapple, divided in 1/2 (do not drain)
- 1 1/2 Cups of liquid egg whites
- 1 (12oz) container of Cool Whip lite
- 1 (1.5oz) package of Sugar Free instant vanilla, lemon, or white chocolate pudding mix
- Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9×13 cake pan with non-stick spray
- In a bowl, add the cake mix, egg whites, 1/2 the pineapple, and the applesauce and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Mix as directed on the package with a hand mixer.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake at 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted and removed. Cool completely.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting: mix the Cool Whip Lite, instant pudding, other half of the crushed pineapple and juices, 1 tsp of vanilla extract and set aside in the refrigerator to set.
- Frost the top of the cake, making sure it has cooled completely.
- Cut into squares and serve, keep refrigerated.
Note: If you use lemon pudding use fresh squeezed lemon juice, instead of the vanilla, in the cake and icing. You can also add some lemon zest.
Til next time,