We like bananas but I always seem to buy too many. Which means, I am left with brown, over-ripened ones. I hate throwing anything out, so what’s a woman to do? Why, make banana bread of course!
Quick breads have long been a favorite of mine. In fact, I just made some zucchini bread for a co-worker. It was a birthday/nurses week gift! I had promised to make some for her well over a year ago. I figured it was time to make good on my promise.
One of the problems with most quick breads is the amount of fat and sugar in them. Just because it has bananas in it doesn’t make it healthy. I turned to a recipe by Gina Homolka, the author of Skinny Taste. She has multiple cookbooks out that are fantastic. The recipes are big on flavor, and nice portions that won’t leave you starved. Check out her website Skinnytaste.com. She is also worth the follow on Pinterest.
(Affiliate Ad, see more at Amazon.com)
This recipe uses 7 bananas which makes it very moist and tender. It makes 2 loaves. I made one with nuts and one without. The one without nuts was gifted to my daughter. Both turned out beautifully! If you don’t want to gift one, wrap it tightly and freeze it. When you are ready to serve it, let it thaw at room temperature.
LOW FAT BANANA NUT BREAD
- 7 ripe bananas, mashed chunky with fork
- 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 C light brown sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 oz. chopped walnuts or pecans
- baking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8×5 inch loaf pans with baking spray. (I lined both with parchment paper and sprayed the paper, and left some overhang on either side to assist with removing from the pan.)
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg whites, apple sauce and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and blend at low speed until combined, add another 1/3 of the flour and blend at low speed, add remaining 1/3 of flour mixture and the bananas and blend at low speed until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the nuts if using.
- Pour batter into loaf pans and bake on the center rack for 50 – 52 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the pan cool at least 20 minutes before removing. Let cool completely before slicing.
Serving Size = 1 slice Freestyle Points = 4 Points Plus = 3
Til next time,
One response to “SKINNY BANANA NUT BREAD”
Yum! One of my favorites things in the world is banana bread, I could probably eat it everyday. It looks so yummy sitting there sliced up.
LikeLiked by 1 person