I am on a kick to cut carbs! Seems the older I get the harder it is to lose weight. Thankfully, when I talk to my gal pals, they all feel the same way. Sadly, some of my favorite foods are carbs. Bread, pasta, sweets…….very unfortunate for me!!
So, while I may not cut them completely, I am going to definitely scale back. This morning was a good morning and our breakfast was huge and delish!! Eggs, onions, garlic, spinach, and a splash of grated Parmesan. I used a couple of spices to kick it up too.
My husband took his first bite and said “this is delicious”. While he is my biggest admirer he is also my biggest critic. I have had some fails and I like to know when it doesn’t work. I would hate to feed something to someone and have them suffer through it. Know what I mean?
This is very similar to a frittata but it was much thinner. Hence the name egg cake! The good news is, it was a nice portion. It could easily be increased. It starts by sautéing some chopped onion, and grated garlic in olive oil. I sautéed the onion until it started to brown and put the grated garlic on top and stirred to mix. You can now add a small amount of salt. As soon as you smell the garlic move quickly to the next step.
Add the spinach immediately, then the chicken broth. Grate a small amount of fresh nutmeg over the spinach and add a pinch of cayenne pepper. Using tongs, turn it to distribute the spices evenly throughout the mixture.
Once the spinach is lightly sautéed, pour your whipped eggs over the top. Tip the pan, to spread the egg mixture over the bottom of the pan. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook just until the edges of the eggs appear to be cooked. Remove from the burner and place under the broiler to finish.
Watch carefully and remove as soon as the mixture is no longer, jiggly ( technical term…haha) and set.
Oh so yummy! The whole pan is only 6 points. I split it with my hubby and we each had a 3 point serving. I added some fruit on the side. Really a great way to start the morning!
SPINACH & CARAMELIZED ONION EGG CAKE
- 3 egg whites (I use jumbo eggs)
- 1 whole egg
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 C chopped onion
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 3 large handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1/8 C of chicken broth
- Nutmeg, freshly grated, approximately 1/4 tsp
- Cayenne pepper, pinch
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Separate the 3 egg whites and whip together with the whole egg and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil over med high heat and add the onion and saute’ until it starts to caramelize.
- Place the grated garlic on top and blend into the onion, do not allow to burn.
- Immediately place the fresh spinach and chicken broth in the pan. Using tongs mix all together and add the nutmeg and cayenne pepper, turn to mix and. distribute the spices throughout the mixture. Reduce the heat to low.
- Spread the mixture over the bottom of the pan evenly and pour the beaten eggs over the top, tipping the pan to evenly distribute them over the bottom of the pan. Add salt, and pepper to taste.
- Cook just until the edges are set.
- Place under the broiler for about 5-8 minutes, watching carefully to prevent burning.
- Remove when the mixture is set throughout.
- Sprinkle the parmesan over the top, cut, and serve while hot.
Til next time,
2 responses to “SPINACH & CARAMELIZED ONION, EGG CAKE”
Looks delish and easy! Sounds like a great Sunday breakfast!!
LikeLiked by 1 person
LikeLiked by 1 person