It’s Fall! Or is it? Hard to tell with the temperatures we’ve had in Maryland. It’s been in the upper 80’s and severely humid. It’s been a boaters paradise to grab the last moments of summer fun. As for me……it’s just too stinking hot!!!!
I’m ready for sweaters, jeans, and colorful leaves. I’m beginning to wonder if it’s ever going to happen. I know it will and I’m really pushing it. I do every year because I love the cooler months. I am truly a Fall and Winter gal.
It’s getting to be that time of year when I am ready for a change in foods too. Soups and stews are two of our favorites. There is nothing more comforting than a hot bowl of yumminess on a cold day. I can remember going to my Grandmother Pearls in the fall and winter. She would always have some sort of soup on the wood stove. This was a soup she made all the time. It’s quick and easy and very tasty.
Fresh lima beans have a short season. My grandmother used to get them by the bushels and shell them. She would then freeze them for later use. So if you can’t get fresh lima’s, no worries. Frozen limas are just fine for this. Same goes for the corn, I use frozen all the time.
A nice complement to this or any soup is cornbread or a buttermilk biscuit. (See the posted link for buttermilk biscuits below). You can add a salad if you like. We usually make the soup our main, but anything goes!
You can make this on the stove-top or in a crock pot. Either way the taste is great and the soup is very filling. I hope you enjoy it!!
FRESH GREEN LIMA BEAN SOUP
- 40oz. fresh or frozen green lima beans
- 16 oz frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15oz) cans of fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 6-8 C of chicken broth (depends on the amount of broth you like)
- 2 pieces of uncooked center cut bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 tsp of sugar (more or less after you taste, it depends on the tomatoes)
- Fresh ground pepper and kosher salt to taste
- Put the first 5 ingredients into a large stockpot on the stove-top.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer, stir all together until well combined.
- Simmer for at least one hour, 2 hours really brings out the flavor.
- Add the sugar and season with salt and pepper to your taste.
To use your crock pot repeat the steps above. Set your pot to low for 4 hours.
BUTTERMILK BISCUITS..and failed fried chicken!
Til next time,
One response to “FRESH GREEN LIMA BEAN SOUP”
Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm my my my yum!