OMGoodness…..creamy, cheesy, filled with spinach and packed with flavor. This is a good one and so easy you won’t believe it. Best of all it’s lighter than most lasagnas.
I made some homemade sauce last week and had enough left over to make this yummy dish. Your favorite jarred sauce would also do. In fact, an Alfredo sauce would be really good too, in place of the tomato sauce. I might have to try it. I do happen to have a light Alfredo sauce, if you can believe that. I will have to dig it out and post it for you.
I served a green salad on the side with an Italian vinagrette. It too was yummy and my whole meal was complete in an hour. Not too bad!! Here’s the recipe……….
LIGHT SPINACH LASAGNA
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced (or 1 T.)
- 1 t of dried thyme or 2 t of fresh thyme, minced
- 8 oz fresh spinach
- 2 lbs part skim ricotta (drained overnight in the fridge)
- 1 egg
- 1 t salt
- 1/4 t of nutmeg
- A squeeze of lemon juice or to taste
- 9 no-boil lasagna noodles (I like Barilla)
- 24 oz of tomato sauce of choice (or substitue Alfredo Sauce)
- 2 C of 2% shredded mozzarella
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and the thyme and saute’ for 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach, saute for 2 minutes more and take off the heat.
- In a large bowl,, combine the ricotta, egg, salt, nutmeg, and lemon juice to taste. Add the spinach and stir to combine.
- Spread a small amount of sauce of choice into the bottom of a 9×13 casserole. Layer in the following manner…..3 lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the cheese and spinach mixture, 1/3 of the mozzarella and repeat two more times.
- Pour a half cup of water over the top. Cover it tightly with non-stick foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let it stand for about 10 minutes then cut and serve.
I guarantee you will keep this in your pasta rotation for a while. Hope you enjoy it!
Til next time,