I recently posted this meal on IG and FB. I had a lot of requests to post the recipe so here it is!
It is very waist friendly by the way. If you’re doing WW or Keto, this is a good one. It’s also a good time of year to make it since peppers are readily plentiful and in most of our gardens. I promise you won’t miss the bread with this one.
I used shaved steak in my recipe. You could slice your own but this was so easy. Here is the pic of what I used. I found it at Food Lion. It was very tasty.
Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
- Cooking spray
- 5 Uncooked bell peppers (I prefer red and orange but you can use any you prefer)
- 14oz Shaved steak or any type of thinly sliced beef you would use for cheesesteaks
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 C of sliced uncooked Vidalia onions
- 1lb sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 3 medium cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Reduced fat Provolone Cheese, 8 slices (you can also use whatever cheese you prefer on your cheesesteaks)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut 1 of the peppers into thin strips and set aside.
- Cut the other peppers in half scooping out the seeds and membrane. Arrange the peppers cut side up in a 13×9″ baking dish. Cover them with foil and bake at 400 degrees x 20 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with non-stick spray. When ready add the steak to the pan; cook, turning occasionally until well browned, about 5-10 minutes. Drizzle with the soy sauce and the Worcestershire sauce, toss, continue to cook until the liquid has evaporated and the meat is glazed, about 5 minutes. Remove the meat mixture from the pan and set aside.
- With the pan off of the heat recoat the pan with nonstick spray…you do not have to clean the pan out prior to this step. Reheat the pan over medium-high heat. When ready add the bell pepper strips, onion, and mushrooms. Sauté until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook until just fragrant. DO NOT let the garlic burn. Add salt and pepper to taste and return the meat to the pan.
- Once the peppers are baked remove them from the oven and uncover discarding any liquid that is in the bottom of the pan. Divide the meat mixture evenly into the pepper halves. Top with a slice of cheese of choice. Bake at 400 until cheese melts and starts to brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- One serving is 2 stuffed pepper halves.
Til next time,